Own a lakeshore property on Burns Lake, the heart of the Lakes District of North Central BC and gateway to Tweedsmuir National Park. Accessible by water or air and adjoins Crown land with access to miles of outdoor recreation.
These acreages are located on the south shore of Burns Lake, in North Central BC near the outlet at the eastern end of the lake into the Endako River. They are part of a 150 acre subdivision which is completely surrounded by Crown land and represent the only privately owned property in this southern shore area of Burns Lake.
Burns Lake is near the top of the Fraser watershed. It is a long and narrow lake with complex shoreline, several islands and two basins. Major inlets to Burns Lake include the Endako River, Guyishton Creek, Stearns Creek and Tintagel Creek. Burns Lake has one outlet, the Endako River which flows into the Stellako River, near the head of Fraser Lake.
These properties are relatively level with natural undulations and bench lands of meadows, clearings and stands of trees; mostly deciduous with small pockets of coniferous. There are numerous building sites to provide views of the lake and islands and each of the properties has been tested for percolation (septic systems). They are currently “off the grid” although cell phones have reception.
A short moderate slope from the edge of the properties provides access to the lake which begins to deepen within a few feet of the lakeshore. Despite being so close to town, these properties limit public access and evidence of wildlife is obvious and abundant. Hwy 16 and the CN Railway run along the northern shoreline of Burns Lake and in most cases lie between privately owned property and the lake. The majority of the south shore of Burns Lake is inaccessible and undeveloped.
|Lot A||142 acres||$86,900|
|Lot 1||10 acres||SOLD|
|Lot 2||7 acres||SOLD|
|Lot 3||5 acres||SOLD|
|Lot 4||3 acres||SOLD|
|Lot 5||3 acres||$54,900|
|Lot 6||2 acres||$44,900|
|Lot 7||2 acres||$44,900|
|Lot 8||2 acres||$44,900|
|Lot 9||2 acres||$59,900|
These acreages are located on the south shore of the east end of Burns Lake, approximately 16 km from the Village of Burns Lake, BC. All of these properties are bordered by the lake on their north side and, collectively, by Crown land on the west, east and south sides.
Boat or plane access, in an easterly direction from the Village of Burns Lake, following the lake shoreline almost to the eastern end of the lake where you’ll see ribbons on the south side (opposite of highway side) or by a rough seasonal logging road (4x4 truck or vehicle with reasonably high ground clearance recommended) that goes around the east end of Burns Lake and abuts the subdivision border. The road to the lots is a back road as it is a deactivated logging road. At the best of times it is very rough-and, depending on the season, rainfall amount, weather, etc, may be impassable. That is why we have advertised the lots as “Lake Access Only”. The Regional District and Crown Lands will not provide any assistance or legal access to these lots. Having said that, there have been some people who have driven to the lots in the last few years. Also, for whatever it may be worth, the owner has said his current plan is to keep at least 1 lot for himself. He has further said that at some point he MAY improve the road access-if possible. He has however emphasized that this is NOT to be taken as a promise, guarantee or condition of sale.
These unique properties are located in the geographic center of BC, between Prince George and Prince Rupert and generally referred to as the Lakes District, this area bordered to the north by Babine Lake area and to the south by Tweedsmuir Park, boasts over 1,000 lakes and some 4,800 kilometres of fishing, hunting and outdoor recreation.
The Village of Burns Lake, located 240 kilometres west of Prince George, with a population of approximately 2,700 (surrounding area 8,000+) is the service centre for the Lakes District.
Forestry, ranching and tourism are the main economic factors influencing the small towns in the vicinity. Agricultural activities mainly consist of hobby farming, forage production and open range grazing. Forestry includes timber harvesting and silviculture as well as two large sawmills. Decker lake Forest Products is located at the head of Decker Lake, which drains onto Burns Lake, and Babine Forest Products is located at the outlet of Burns Lake into the Endako River.
Burns Lake also has the distinction of being the gateway to the untamed wilderness of Tweedsmuir Provincial Park.
Burns Lake itself is approximately 1,180 ha with depths ranging to 40 metres (approx. 120 ft). It is approx. 16 kilometres long and varies to a max of approx 1 kilometre in width at the main body on the west end.
Baker Airport, a few miles to the west of Burns Lake can handle smaller aircraft & charters, the commercial airport in Smithers (1.5 hr drive west of the Village of Burns Lake) has daily service to and from Vancouver and Prince George Airport (2.5 hr drive to the east) has been expanded to accommodate “747” airplane landings as well as international flights. Via Rail and Greyhound bus also service Burns Lake on their east and westerly routes.
The Village of Burns Lake is a thriving community and offers many amenities including hospital, shopping centres, hardware and building supply stores, restaurants, hotel, motels, recreation facilities, schools, Regional College and public beach with boat docking. Burns Lake is also the hub for many small towns and communities in the Lakes District of BC and is widely known as the “Community with a big heart.”
The door to the famous “Tweedsmuir Park” with the incredible beauty and natural wilderness, Burns Lake offers plenty of year round recreation in the area, nature trails, camping, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, swimming, watersports, boating, hunting, fishing (both summer & winter), cross country skiing, snow shoeing, golfing, tennis, skating, curling and down hill skiing at nearby Smithers and Fort St. James.
Many hiking trails, easily accessible, take you back into lakes, rapids and fall and Boer Mountain has many “world class mountain bike” trails. The Omineca Cross Country Ski Club has a lodge and lighted night trails along with its wonderful regular trails and the many clubs, curling, tennis, hockey for the old and young, mountain biking, running, hiking, cross country ski, snowmobile as well as the local Service Clubs provide plenty of opportunity for involvement in the activities.
The 1700s saw explorers, trappers and prospectors in the Burns Lake area but the area and population didn’t grow until the building of the Grand Trunk Railway in the early 1900s when it was a major supplier of railroad ties. Once the railway was completed many of the construction crews remained and homesteaded in the area.
Burns Lake was originally named Burnt Lake by the Boreland Expedition around 1866, during construction of the Collins Telegraph Line, after a tremendous forest fire swept the area blackening the trees and charring the countryside. Bob Gerow, one of the main founders of Burns Lake, entered into partnership with Jack Seely and Howard Laidlaw to create Burns Lake Trading Company. Together, they built a store/hotel and a sawmill on Gerow Island.
In 1911, there was just a pack trail through the bush where the main part of the village now stands. A bridge was constructed to connect Gerow Island to the mainland. All men not already employed by the railroad were hired to help build the bridge. The first newspaper in Burns Lake was called the Observer, published and edited by Sidney Godwin
Settlement of Burns Lake began around 1911 with the arrival of construction crews to begin work on the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway, now part of the Canadian National Railways. The original 'tent town' began to grow as more settlers arrived, with incorporation as the Village of Burns Lake in 1923.
After a decline in the prosperous timber industry during the depression years, the demand for forest products rose during and following the Second World War and by 1948 there were nearly 90 small sawmills operating in the Burns Lake area. A number of historic buildings still stand.
First built in 1933 by the Women's Missionary Society of the United Church of Canada, the hospital was officially opened by Canada's former Governor General Lord Tweedsmuir. Once the largest and finest public building between Prince George and Prince Rupert, it was famous for its fine gardens. It was later occupied by senior citizens apartment complex, then declared a heritage building in 1982 and redeveloped as an office building by its owner, the Burns Lake Native Development Corporation
Burns Lake to the north and Crown land to the south as well as Crown land to the east of Lot 1
54°10’47.15”N and 125°31’4.19”W
R4 (Waterfront Residential II) and H1A (Small Holdings - Additional dwelling) under Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako Zoning Bylaw No. 700 as per zoning map
Our property descriptions and geographical information are taken from the BC Assessment Authority, Land Titles Office, government maps and other sources. While LandQuest® does not guarantee the information, we believe it to be accurate, but should not be relied upon without verification. This communication is not intended to cause or induce breach of an existing agency agreement.