319 acres in 2 titles completely outside the ALR only 5 mins to town. Good year-round access. Sub-dividable. Power & natural gas 300 metres away. 3 separate ponds & a seasonal creek. Backs onto Crown land. Elk, deer, moose, bears and grouse. Some timber.
A great investment. 319 acres in 2 titles completely outside the ALR and only 5 minutes east of the Village of Burns Lake. This sprawling acreage has several access points with good year-round access via Kelway Road which runs through the southern portion of the property. An acreage of this size this close to town does not come available very often and is without question a great long-term hold. Power and natural gas are less than 300 metres from properties. The properties are zoned “Large Holdings” which allows for subdivision with minimum parcel size is 19.77 acres. Permitted uses for the property include, single-family dwellings, two-family dwellings, agriculture, guest ranch, rural retreats, home occupations and campsites.
Backing onto Crown land, the property enjoys 1.6 km Crown land frontage onto the Boer Mountain rec site. Running through the property is a network of old logging roads; the majority of the roads are not passable with the vehicle but serve as part of a network of walking paths and ski trails. With the right equipment the old roads could be opened back up again. There are countless building locations to choose from some with views out over the valley to the hills beyond. Another layer of value is the timber, most of which is approximately 30 years old and reaching the merchantable age. Although no timber cruise is available it's estimated that there's an approximate 2,000 m3 of older merchantable timber, or keep the timber for your own building needs. On this property the sky is the limit for a resourceful person with their own portable sawmill.
Tons of character with three separate ponds and a seasonal creek running through the acreage. The property is home to a wide variety of wildlife. Check out some of the trail cam pictures in the listing, frequent visitors include moose, elk, deer, bears and grouse. A true hunter's paradise.
Don't wait to make this totally private back to nature acreage yours. Call the listing REALTOR® today for more information or to book a time to go by for a look.
Kelway Rd - Burns Lake, BC
Burns Lake is a rural village in the North-Central Interior of British Columbia, incorporated in 1923. The village has a population of 2,029 according to the 2011 Census.
The Village is renowned for its rich First Nations heritage and for its extensive network of mountain biking trails, which have received international acclaim by becoming Canada's first IMBA Ride Centre. In winter, cross-country skiing trails and snowmobile wilderness trails are created. Burns Lake is located in the midst of a large networks of lakes called the Lakes District, with fishing and hunting year-round, and water activities in the summer months.
There are two First Nations reserves that are part of the town, and another four nearby, making it one of the few communities in the province that have almost equal populations of persons of native or European descent. Local nations include Wet'suwet'en First Nation, Lake Babine Nation, Cheslatta Band, Ts'il Kaz Koh First Nation, Skin Tyee band and Nee Tahi Buhn band.
The town serves as a hub for the local logging, saw-milling, mining and tourist industries. It also serves as the main commercial centre for the surrounding area including Francois Lake, Colleymount, Grassy Plains, Rose Lake, Topley and Granisle. There are three pubs, many cafés and restaurants a selection of stores and services, numerous hotels and motels, a library and a hospital. It is also the location of the head offices of the Regional District of Bulkley-Nechako.
Burns Lake has gained world renowned recognition from the International Mountain Biking Association for its network of trails on Boer Mountain. The trails, maintained by a volunteer group called Burns Lake Mountain Biking Association, include 20 km of downhill and 40 km of cross-country trails. The trails continue to draw mountain bikers from all over the world and are expanding every season.
In the winter months cross-country skiing is very popular at the Omineca Ski Club. Its facilities have hosted several national championships and are considered to rank among western Canada's best trail networks. The facilities include 25 km of groomed trails, four km of which are lit for nighttime skiing. There is also a facility for biathlon skiing.
In 2014 The Village of Burns Lake completed work on the Lakeside Multiplex and renovations to the Tom Forsyth Memorial Arena. This facility includes a hockey rink, curling rink, rock climbing gym, a squash/racquetball court, a fitness facility and multi-use rooms. The facility is located on Spirit Square, a large outdoor park with a playground, a beach, a walking path, outdoor fitness equipment, two tennis courts and a skateboard park.
The 1.9 kilometre Opal Bed Trail leads to an active rock hounding destination, where users can look for precious minerals.
Burns Lake is considered to be the gateway to Tweedsmuir North Provincial Park and Protected Area. The North Park is a wilderness area with no services or supplies; it cannot be accessed by road. Fly-in tours for sightseeing, hunting and fishing are offered by local outfitters.
Burns Lake’s first inhabitants were the Carrier First Nations communities that spanned much of the Lakes District and beyond.
Burns Lake itself began as a small rest stop for travelers on their way to the Yukon Gold Rush. Many of these travelers spotted opportunity in the rich forestry, fur and mining opportunities in Burns Lake and the surrounding area.
Burns Lake acquired its name after Michael Byrnes, who was an explorer for the Collins Overland Telegraph scheme. Byrnes passed Burns Lake in about 1866 while surveying a route from Fort Fraser to Hagwilget. Recent research indicates that Byrnes was also a miner during the Cariboo Gold Rush and had staked a claim on William’s Creek earlier, in 1861. On the 1866 trail map of the area, the name 'Byrnes' Lake appears; after 1876 however, the maps indicate it as Burns Lake.
Bob Gerow, one of the main founders of Burns Lake, entered into partnership with Jack Seely and Howard Laidlaw to create Burns Lake Trading Company. Together, they built a store/hotel and a saw mill on Gerow Island, which would become the hub of trade for the surrounding area. The Village was incorporated on December 6, 1923. The first Mayor was G. M Gerow.
The first newspaper in Burns Lake was called the Observer, published and edited by Sidney Godwin. In the late 1950s another newspaper, also called the Observer, was operated by Ralph Vipond. It closed in 1961.
The town continued to grow throughout the 20th century. Its current industries have become forestry and tourism, though many workers commute to jobs in the mining industry.
Burns Lake received nationwide attention on January 20, 2012, when an explosion destroyed Babine Forest Products, a wood mill which was one of the town's primary employers.
A number of historic buildings still stand including:
First built in 1933 by the Women's Missionary Society of the United Church of Canada, the hospital was officially opened by Canada's former Governor General Lord Tweedsmuir. Once the largest and finest public buildings between Prince George and Prince Rupert, it was famous for its fine gardens. It was later occupied by a senior citizens apartment complex, then declared a heritage building in 1982 and redeveloped as an office building by its owner, the Burns Lake Native Development Corporation.
Located adjacent to the Burns Lake Museum, this square-cut log building is a former fur trade post which later became a gambling den. Due to the nature of gambling, fights broke out in the building, earning its name. It now contains a display of historical artifacts from the life of Craig Wafflehouse, one of the founders of Burns Lake.
Please see mapping section (all boundaries are approximate).
54°13'26.27"N and 125°42'16.45"W
Power and natural gas are less than 300 metres from properties.
H2 - Large Holdings
THE NORTHEAST 1/4 OF DISTRICT LOT 4170 RANGE 5 COAST DISTRICT
THE SOUTH 1/2 OF DISTRICT LOT 4170 RANGE 5 COAST DISTRICT EXCEPT PLANS 4623, 4815 AND 10529
Our property descriptions and geographical information are taken from the BC Assessment Authority, Land Titles Office, government maps and other sources. While LandQuest® does not guarantee the information, we believe it to be accurate, but should not be relied upon without verification. This communication is not intended to cause or induce breach of an existing agency agreement.