0.72 acre oceanfront lot located on northeast end of De Courcy Island with 180± ft of sandstone beach frontage. Several potential building sites with amazing ocean views. Includes storage shed and composting toilet. Ready for your dream home or summer cabin!
Prime 0.72-acre oceanfront lot with approximately 180 feet of low bank frontage facing northeast towards Gabriola Island and Valdes Island. There are many building sites to choose from with stunning ocean views. Two structures have already been built on the property, a storage shed with rainwater collection and a structure that has a composting toilet. One could comfortably camp on the property for this summer while contemplating where and what they would like to build. The property is located on the northeast end of De Courcy Island close to the barge landing, allowing easy access to building materials. It is also close to Pirates Cove Marina where private protected moorage is available.
De Courcy Island has a well-established and maintained internal road network that circumnavigates the island, perfect for bike riding or stretching your legs. There are various access points down to the ocean with a nice public beach at the south end of the island. The island is easily accessible by water from various points, but Boat Harbour or Gabriola Island are close by. Affordable float plane service is also available from Vancouver.
If you're looking for an affordable Gulf Island recreational oceanfront, call to book your appointment to view today!
This lot is located at 196 Long Island Lane, which is on the northeast end of De Courcy Island.
Contact Listing Agent.
De Courcy Island is located in Northumberland Channel, between Nanaimo and Valdes Island, 16 kilometres southeast of Nanaimo. De Courcy Island is accessed by private boat or float plane. It is approximately 15 20 minutes by boat from Nanaimo's Boat Harbour, 15 minutes by boat to Ladysmith, or 20 minutes by float plane from Vancouver.
Seaplane Services from Vancouver Airport's South Terminal
Seaplane Charter Services
Water Taxi Service
Like many of the Gulf Islands, De Courcy Island contains an interesting mixture of plants, some coastal and some more typically found in the dry interior of BC. Rocky Mountain juniper, satin flower and poison oak are all species that are much more widely spread in the interior than they are on the coast, but they thrive here in the dry summers of De Courcy Island.
One of the Gulf Islands' most popular marine parks, Pirates Cove Marine Provincial Park is located on the southeast corner of De Courcy Island. Outdoor enthusiasts can hike the 4-kilometre trail or explore the sandstone beaches and caves. As would be expected, swimming and kayaking are popular activities at Pirates Cove, called Gospel Cove by the Aquarians. The 31-hectare (75 acre) Pirates Cove offers walk-in campsites, a magnificent all weather anchorage, and a variety of opportunities for wildlife viewing.
De Courcy Island features an excellent array of wildlife. Common marine animals include Harbor Seals (year-round), Steller and California sea lions (late-Aug through mid-May), harbor porpoise, orca, gray and humpback whales (summer months). River otters, black-tailed deer and bald eagles make their home on the Island. Bird watchers can spot Wilson's warblers, Pacific flycatchers, Black oystercatchers, White-crowned sparrows, bald eagles and great blue herons, as well as other species.
Located in Northumberland Channel off the east coast of central Vancouver Island, De Courcy Island was named after Michael de Courcy, captain of the HMS Pylades, a vessel that charted these waters from 1859 to 1861.
De Courcy Island is about 300 acres in size and is heavily forested in most areas, except for a small private farm on the northwest side of the Island. There are several middens on De Courcy Island that indicate native use of the land going back over 3,000 years.
Between 1943 and 1957, the Island was owned by a Swiss brother and sister, Paul and Anna Wyff. They farmed the Island communally with a few other people, living a simple and self-sufficient lifestyle. De Courcy Island Estates purchased the land in 1965 and subdivided it into approximately 160 lots. Today, De Courcy has around 40 residences built on the island, most of which are used on weekends or during the summer months.
Recent history of De Courcy Island records the drama played out in the late 1920s and early 1930s when the island was home to the Aquarian Foundation, a religious cult led by the "downright evil" Brother Xll. Believing himself to be the Twelfth Master of Wisdom who would usher in a new age, Brother Xll convinced 8,000 followers to hand over their worldly possessions and follow him to De Courcy Island.
The amount of money donated to the foundation is legendary—people would give their entire life savings in support. The land purchased included De Courcy Island. A settlement was built on the north end of the Island, with stories of having gun fortifications and rock shelters. Any excess money was said to have been converted to gold coins and sealed into glass jars and placed into cedar chests. Facing trial in Nanaimo in 1933 on a bundle of charges, Brother Xll and his cohort disappeared on the colony's boat. The couple and the colony's fortune were never seen in these parts again.
Please see mapping section - all boundaries are approximate.
49° 6'39.26"N and 123°45'10.41"W
SR Settlement Residential
Gabriola Island Local Trust Area, De Courcy Island Zoning Bylaw No. 44.
Additional zoning information can be found on the Islands Trust website.
Lot 3, Section 24, Nanaimo District, Plan 21653
Our property descriptions and geographical information are taken from the BC Assessment Authority, Land Titles Office, government maps and other sources. While LandQuest® does not guarantee the information, we believe it to be accurate, but should not be relied upon without verification. This communication is not intended to cause or induce breach of an existing agency agreement.